Tuesday, February 2, 2010

shoes and socks

I find it very suspicious how you can put a PAIR of socks in the washer but when the load comes out of the dryer the pair has gone their seperate ways and only one lonely sock makes its way back to you. I have a basket where I keep all of those lonely socks. There they sit until their mate decides to find its way out of the dryer. Sometimes that's an hour until the next load comes out and sometimes thats a week. But here lately we haven't done very good at matching those socks up right away. Needless to say it made for an abundance of "unmatched" socks in the basket. So last week I decided I would finally match them all up. Wowza!! Who knew we owned that many socks?! Not I! I matched 58 pairs...and, of course, there were still some stragglers waiting for their mates to return. Needless to say, our drawers were overflowing and the kids were happy because they didn't have to do the matching. I didn't think to take a picture until it was too late and they were already put away. That night though, as I made my way upstairs to bed, it was like going thru a maze trying not to step on all of the shoes my family had left all over. So I thought I would be nice and pick them up (and take a picture if need be)...I mean, how long could it take. So I walked the whole downstairs and in 3 minutes I picked up all of these...

18 pairs of shoes!! And 2 without their mates. Is that not the most ridiculous thing you've heard? I was so bloomin' mad. I left them there til morning, woke the kids up an hour early, made them put all of their shoes away, put all of their folded clothes away, sweep, and clean the kitchen...which must of cured them because the house has been clean ever since!

6 comments:

Brittaney said...

I was laughing so hard Julie! I remember my Mom's lone sock basket. You are Great!

Janalee said...

hear hear on the socks. when my single sock drawer gets too full, I stick a kid in charge of matching up.

and all those shoes on the stairs??? wow.

SBrooks said...

I hear ya sista! My house all the way. I dont tolerate lonely socks for more than a week though. They have a week to find their mate or the garbage is their new home. Such a waste, I know but jeesh! Socks and shoes everywhere!

Janika said...

Are anybody's shoe sizes that different. At my house, I have girls socks and boys socks. I buy one kind of sock in bulk and throw the rest away. My husband wears Sam's Club Goldtoe and the boys wear Hanes. The only problem with that fantastic plan is that the children go to and come from other houses every other weekend with foreign socks. I almost never sort them. If the kids want socks, they need to take care of it themselves--they don't. They dig in the bottom of the laundry basket every morning.

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO HITLER I CANT BELIEVE YOU WOULD WAKE THOSE POOR OVERWORKED/UNDERAPPRECIATED INNOCENT LITTLE CHILDREN UP AN HOUR EARLY JUST TO PUT AWAY SOME SHOES!!!!!! WHAT KIND OF MOTHER ARE YOU??????? THATS LIKE ASKING SOMEONE HOW MUCH MONEY THEY MAKE A YEAR OR HOW BIG THEIR HOUSE IS OR HOW MUCH TITHING THEY PAY!!!! JEESH!

Varney Family said...

I LOVE it!!! There are always missing shoes or missing socks and I hear the kids yell down the hall,"Mom have you seen my....."
I fwe have unmatched socks we put them in a bag to use for "Sock Tag" it's a really fun game!!