Saturday, July 18, 2009

Minivan Mama

For many years I was a minivan mama. I got my first minivan back in 1999 and I drove one up until December 2008. I started with the Ford Windstar and liked it so much I bought another one. Then in 2006 I switched over to the Honda Odyssey...the cadillac of minivans!! I loved it. Often times I was teased by my close friends for actually wanting to drive a minivan. I was never embarassed and never, ever did I feel like I had to drive an SUV because everyone else had one. And then we were forced to downsize to just 1 vehicle (which is a whole other topic) and the vehicle that we ended up keeping was the one that was paid for. In our case that was a full size truck. I feel it is very comparable in size to an SUV. Now, since we're both jobless I don't feel like we drive too often but yesterday while sitting at QT filling up yet again I thought to myself "I am so sick of spending money on gas...especially for this guzzler!!" First of all, I feel no "cooler" because I'm not driving a minivan and secondly, who the heck wants to spend this much in gas just because it's a "cooler" vehicle than a minivan? NOT ME!!!
I can't wait to be a minivan mama again someday.

6 comments:

Jolene said...

Are you dissing SUV drivers? Just wondering!... I was a mini van mom for years and years. Then when the last one we had was totaled in an accident, we went to an SUV. You're right, the gas mileage isn't that great but it is great for hauling our trailers etc... around. I also love the room in the back for big shopping trips.

Jolene said...

BTW, the accident wasn't my fault - just in case you were wondering.

Julie said...

Only dissin on the ones who made fun of me!! I promise.

Bianca said...

A minivan is so practical...

Heather said...

Yes, I too am an suv owner. Hubby wouldn't have it any other way (i could care less) Gotta be able to tow things! I love them too except for the GAS $$$$. We may be going down to one vehicle too real soon.

Janika said...

My minivan is a "midsize" that a teenage kid I worked with told me he wanted because it is that cool--except that now it has a strip of trim missing from the bumper. I think I remember your 1999 minivan and being jealous of it because it was the 2-sliding-door model. Three minivans later, I have yet to get one like that.