Tuesday, October 6, 2009

secrets

Growing up, my parents had many great friends. There were 3 families though (including my own) that were always and still are a BIG part of our lives. We'll call these families the Browns, the Smiths, and the Jones'. I won't tell you though which family was mine or where I play a part in this story. So the Browns, Smiths and Jones' were great friends. Since we were all in the military and away from any of our extended families we considered eachother family. We spent every weekend bbq-ing, camping, or just hangin out. We spent all of our holidays together... Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, you name it, we were together. All 3 families had kids and all of us kids were VERY close. Since our families were together so often we had no choice but to hang out with eachother all the time. Well, us kids have a HUGE secret..something that some of us did and later revealed to the rest of us!! So huge that it would probably be a box office hit. So huge that one of the families suffered for it and was impacted by it for years. So huge that, if ever our parents found out, it would ruin the beautiful friendship that they all still have. Us kids are still close too...some closer than others but when we see the others every few years, we can pick up right where we left off. HOWEVER, this secret I speak of, is never mentioned. I don't think we've spoken of it since the day it happened some 20 years ago. In fact, I think if it were mentioned, it would even ruin some of our (us kids) friendships now. I always wonder if when the parents are gone, it will be spoken of, or if it will silently lurk in our memories forever...left to die with whichever one of us kids dies last.
Do you have any secrets weighing you down? Please share...tell me we're not the only ones!!! Please!!

Afterthought: it has nothing to do with any of us "hooking up". We were never involved with eachother romantically...not even once...As far as I know.

5 comments:

Janalee said...

Julie! You can't just leave it at that. I was sure we were going to hear a big secret. 'messed up.

I bet I can guess what the secret is too. But not publicly.

(so were you referring to the lady who harassed me in the church parking lot in the comment you left on my blog?)

Anonymous said...

I had to sign this anonymous because I'm so embarassed and know too many of your friends but I broke into a house once when I was like 14. We didn't take anything. Just snooped but still, it was one of our friends homes and I can't believe I ever did it. So, yes, there are more of us who are weighed down with secrets of our own. Horrible feeling isn't it?

Julie said...

Jana, I'm dying to know what you think my secret is...I dont think you could guess it in a million years but am open to listening to your guesses;)

mother of seven said...

I agree with Janalee....Seriously!!!!

As the world turns in the Wright Family.!

Its like I'm waiting for another episode to hear the answer:)

spice2116 said...

julie you are such a tease!! i bet i can guess what the secret is too. :p

i have tons of secrets of when i was younger hanging around the neighborhood kids.