Wednesday, March 18, 2009

thats what life is all about

Went to the old hood today. Was quite a somber feeling. Though I have grown to love this new hood of mine and all of the wonderful people here the memories I have in that old one are many. As I drove by our old house, I thought about the day I walked thru the front door with our brand new baby (Jarom), all of the kids filled with excitement to finally have him home. I remembered the many springs where I was colorfully welcomed by my freshly planted flowers. Memories of my kids playing outside...boys chasing the girls, girls screaming, parents ignoring them. The many times we chased our dog up and down that street (having to stop traffic on Guadalupe a few times). The excitement and hopes we had for the future when we added that 3rd driveway, extended my front patio and had the block wall built. The pranks we let our kids play on our crazy neighbors and the wonderful ward!! Oh, the wonderful ward...our kids grew up together!! They played baseball together, took dance classes together, went camping together, vacationed together, even took trips with the bishop and his family...they did everything together!! That bond and friendship, for my kids especially, is what is greatly missed. It took a while to get those relationships though and I know we will have them again here.
A couple of weekends ago my kids were swimming with some kids from our new ward. As I sat in the living room of our neighbor and watched them all play out in the pool I thought to myself how the other kids were so lucky to have eachother for they, too, have all grown up together. They were all so comfortable with eachother. For a minute, I felt sad for my kids...for they are the new kids on the block but you know what? They are not treated like that at all. They have been accepted into this circle of friends as though they have lived here all their lives too. They are as comfortable as the other kids are with eachother. And I am as comfortable with their parents as I was in the other hood. And here, just like there, we are already making memories...memories that will last a lifetime!! Change...that's what life is all about. Guess it isn't so bad after all.

3 comments:

spice2116 said...

ewwww change such a nasty word :p i am glad everything is working out in the new hood but then again why wouldnt it your family rocks!!

Janika said...

I am finally in a neighborhood where my kids want to go outside because that is where their friends are. We have moved too often. We hope to stay here until the youngest of the older kids graduates (10 years.)

mother of seven said...

Julie... well put my friend.