Monday, April 21, 2008

Is Granny Here??

Now I'm not one to brag or boast about myself too much (wink, wink) and I don't even think I am bragging or boasting now when I say that I am not a bad cook. I can honestly say that there is not anything I have EVER made that has been absolutely horrible. I occasionally get compliments about my cooking. For the most part I dont make anything out of this world or extraordinary. I mean, I make what everyone else makes for dinner...chicken, porkchops, spaghetti, meatloaf, etc...and it always tastes just fine. What I am trying to say here is that I am not a bad cook...not the best...but not bad. I think I got this natural ability to cook from my mother. Now THAT is someone who can cook!! That woman can make water taste good!! And she makes the good stuff...MEXICAN FOOD!! I'm not exaggerating when I say that when she comes to town we all gain weight. I don't make mexican food. So when she comes to town we all get spoiled. My mother can turn a bean into a delicassy!! She is well known with my hubbies family for her Mexican cooking and all of my friends (in the neighborhood or at church) seem to come by a little more often when she is here. And they all seem to stop by at around dinner time when they know she'll be rolling out the tortillas....they think I don't catch on but I do!! The house always smells good when she is here. I would say that 4 or 5 times a year I try to dig deep and find my Mexican roots. On those days my family gets carne guisada, enchiladas, or tacos(and they think they've hit the jackpot!!) Don't ask me to make anything else because the mexicana in me stops there. Wait...I can make a pot of beans and spanish rice. I think I've made each like 6 or 7 times since we've been married. I actually made a pot of beans tonight...and they were dang good!! Anyways, even though, the mexican in me has yet to be seen, I cook for my family almost every night and the house always smells good around the 5 or 6 o'clock hour. So tell me why tonight my child walked in, smelled the aroma from the beans and said "Is Granny Here?" I said, "What do you mean is Granny here?". He says "Well, it smells good in here...it only smells like that when granny comes to visit".

See what I get for trying...Kids these days!!

1 comment:

Aimee & Josh Jensen said...

silly kids.
Are you the only child.
I didn't know you didn't have sisters