Friday, April 4, 2008

so different now

Being a military brat, I was subject to move at the most inopportune moments. I went to 2 different high schools. I spent 8th thru 11 grade in a very small town in Texas. At that time, there was only 1 high school, 1 McDonalds, 1 Kmart, 1 Wal-Mart, etc.. Then, the summer before my senior year, my dad was transferred back to San Diego. None of us minded this move at all because that is where we had lived my whole life until I was in 8th grade so to us this was like going back home. Do you know how hard it is to move in your senior year though? It Sucks!! I adjusted though and then went to college with all of the people I graduated with. Grew up and got married, etc. Well, needless to say, I have kept in touch with some of the people from Harlingen, TX and with some from San Diego. It seems that over the past few months I have reconnected with lots of people from both places and it just amazes me how different everyone is. My group of friends in California was very similar to the group in Texas. We were all pretty mellow kids. I mean, none of us sat around doing drugs, none of us were in gangs, we were just pretty normal. Now I look at where some of them are now and wonder how our lives are all so different. It seems that my best friend from Tx and my best friend from Ca are still pretty normal but the rest of them are just freaks!! So here is the breakdown of what some have been up to...one is a recovering drug addict, one is in the Army (never would have thought she would do that), one has decided she is gay and is now married to another woman, another one lost custody of her kids for who knows what, then there's us (my best friends and I...just normal, everyday, gals...married w/ children, PTO, Little League, etc...who knows, maybe we aren't the normal ones...in either case, It is just funny to see how so many people that were so similar in their teens are all so different now. Funny how that works.

No comments: