Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day Daddy!!

This is my Daddy...the only man in my life that I know, without a shadow of a doubt, will love me for who I am...no ifs, ands, or buts about it (recognize that saying dad?)!! I love my dad...he is the best one out there (and if any of you try to argue with me about that just remember, I can take you down!!). Since I was old enough to recognize and feel love, I have known that "I am what makes his heart beat". I have known that I am "his heart and soul". These are the kind words my father would tell me on a daily basis. Maybe that is why I am so self confident today, and happy with who I am...because I was told all of my life how much I am loved. I have some fond memories I would like to share today (Fathers Day) in honor of my dad. I'll start with when I was young and move on from there. As a little girl, I remember him singing to me...there are 2 specific songs I remember (they are actually the songs you are hearing right now if your volume is on) The Most Beautiful Girl and Do You Want To Know a Secret. I can honestly remember him singing these to me as early as 3 or 4. Then we moved to San Diego not far from a Baskin Robbins and I remember every week My dad would take my mom and I...he would order a Banana Split...and every time I see one advertised now I think of him. And man,could he make some peach cobbler? When I smell peach cobbler now, I remember the many nights I would sit and watch him make it...that and blueberry muffins...he used to LOVE Blueberry Muffins!! And when my mom was cooking her wonderful Mexican Food, my dad and I would watch her shred the cheese and as soon as she would turn around he would sneak a big handful and we would hurry and eat it so that we wouldn't get caught..she always knew though..she would always look at me and say "I saw you guys". As I got older, he enrolled me in softball...I was so scared to play...I remember telling him that I was scared...but he practiced and practiced with me and I ended up getting the most RBI's that year. The following years, he would coach my team...I know now how much time and commitment that takes and I really appreciate it. I always felt so special because my dad was the coach. And all of my friends loved him...they all thought he was so cool!! He was a Marine my whole life so everyone thought he was the next Rambo...it was kind of cool. When I was 11, my mom had my brother Mark...but before she had him she was in the hospital and he made sure to take me to see her every night...I honestly don't remember if it was 1 day or 5 days that she was in the hospital but what I remember is that he cared enough to take me to see my mom. Then as I got older, he would PT with me in the morning. We would go running and we would stop at every block and do sit ups or push ups and then continue running...but I liked it. My dad has always taken the time to show me how much he loves me!! He told me too...but as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words...and his actions proved to me that he loved his job of being a Daddy!! He still does. Every time I call the house (which isn't too often is it dad?) he sounds so happy to hear from me...like I just made his day...and I call there at least 8 or 9 times a week...usually a little more though. Yeah, I'm one of those kids you just can't get rid of!! Are you kidding?? They brought me into this world...now they have to deal with me!! Anyways daddy, I love you and I just want you to know how much you mean to me...and how much I appreciate ALL that you have done and still do for me...Happy Fathers Day!!

3 comments:

Alli H. said...

That is beautiful tribute to your father Julie. I knew you had to have come from special stock in order to be as special as you are.

paula said...

You are so blessed to have a father who obviously know how to be one.

Michele Bushman said...

Julie,
Your tribute to your dad is awesome!