Tuesday, August 26, 2008

WWJD

Recently, like within the past 2 years, my hubby ran across an old friend that he went to High School with in Tucson. It just so happens that this friend lives pretty close to us and so, we have gotten together a few times. Their kids and ours are pretty close in age and I hope the feeling is mutual when I say that we all seem to enjoy each others company. Oh, by the way, the friends name is Art. Well, Art's wife Jana is just the nicest girl you can meet. She is so opposite of me... as far as her whole outlook on life. For example, Jana is very content staying home all day doing thrifty little things like, say, sewing or baking or quilting or any of the other hundreds of things she can do. She is a great photographer, a good cook, she sews, quilts, blogs, and does all of this on top of being the primary president!! I, on the other hand, love to be out in the streets spending money$...lets not confuse my spending with being extravagant. I do spend frugally but none the less, I spend. I mean, I shop the thrift shops, NEVER buy anything if it's not on sale and love yard sales!! I don't believe in being wasteful so yes, my family does eat leftovers and they love it!! I hang clothes out to dry in the summer to save on our electric bill...not always, but I try. Actually, not too much this summer because my hubby tore down my lines so I can only hang things on chairs and the stroller...not fun!! But you get the picture, I am pretty cheap. If, I need something though, I do go out and buy it. Jana, on the other hand, would not spend on a comforter this summer...instead, she spent her summer cutting 1700 2.5 inch squares out of scraps of material and making her own quilt. When posting her quilt on her blog she said she believes in using what you have first before buying. "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". This is her saying, and she sticks to it. My saying would be more like "It's on sale!! Where's the keys?!? Babe, hand me the debit card please!!" You like that rhyme? I made it up myself. Anyways, ever since I read this little saying on her blog, I hear it ringing in my head every time I'm about to spend money...I question everything I'm buying. I think to myself, "do I really need this?" Can I live without it? Would Jana buy this?
When something goes on sale I get all excited and then this little voice whispers to me WWJD (What would Jana Do?). When I'm about to throw something away, I hear it...WWJD. Sunday, my much used, much loved griddle broke. I dropped it and all but 1 leg broke off and just as I was going to throw it away, I heard it again...WWJD? It's still usable Julie...c'mon, try it!! I was cooking French Toast and didn't have to worry about anything running off of the sides and spilling everywhere so I decided I would use it. It worked just fine. French Toast tasted just like it always does...scrumptious!! But Sorry Jana, I threw it away afterwards. It was just too broken for me. I am keeping my eye out for a sale on one so if anyone sees them on sale anywhere please let me know. And as I work on my frugality just a little more, those WWJD's will just have to keep helping me along...thanks Jana!!(for being my example) And Steve is thanking you too!!

4 comments:

spice2116 said...

LOL that is so awesome i think everyone in a sense wishes they were more frugal or had the patience for it.

Janalee said...

I burst out laughing in several places. Loved the rhyme. You paint such a goody picture of me. And you're much nicer than I am. REALLY!!!

After our $300 electric bill today, I'm wondering about the whole drying the clothes outside thing. But that would take sooo long I don't think I can make the sacrifice.

And guess what! My griddle dropped and only one leg broke so I have to prop that corner on something when I use it. Too bad the legs aren't interchangable - you could've given me your last leg.

PS I didn't make up that saying, it's from the WWII era, or maybe a prophet.

Alli H. said...

You and I are more alike than I thought. I am a sale hunter too. The only thing is that I have a little bit of your friend Jana in me too. I believe in recycling at home. Might as well used it up until you can't use it anymore. I even cut the bottom of the tooth paste and scrape the inside out! Top that! :)

Bianca said...

Funny, I posted the same thing a while back. Don't worry - it's like a cold. You have it for awhile and then it goes away. Read my most recent post.