Sunday, October 12, 2008

the daily happenings (or mishaps) at Banner

Okay, if you can't read all of this at least read Mondays...crazy!!
Friday - when I was admitted they were taking me to get a catscan when I ran into my next door neighbor who is an RN. She was very nice and wanted to know what was wrong. As they pushed me in my bed she walked next to me and decided to inform me of how many stuffed animals and balls Jarom had thrown over her fence. I explained to her that he has just reached the point where he can get things over the fence and everything from our house is missing!! We chuckled and she was on her way. Later that evening after drugging me with Morphine I got so sick!! And my nice young neighbor nurse came in and took care of me. She got me a wet cloth for my forehead, got me some water to rinse my mouth, pulled my hair back for me and rubbed my back (and I wasn't even her patient!!). Anyways, it's too bad that we're moving...after 3 years of us speaking only during the holidays, I think I like her now.
Saturday - After being up all night puking, my home teacher and another man from our ward came to give me a blessing. What a great surprise that was to both Steve and I when they walked thru the door. Later that evening, 3 ladies from my ward came and visited. Oh my goodness we had so much fun...we just laughed and laughed. I think my fellow patients were a little bugged but oh well!! It was a great time with my ward sisters. I will miss them so.
Sunday - Sick all day from a new drug they tried to give me. I didn't sleep all night or day and was just sick and cranky! My sister in law called and wanted to know if she could come and see me...I was crying and said NO! Just get Steve over here!! Steve was there within 10 or 15 minutes so she must of known Mama wasn't playin!! I hope she forgives me. Then, I yelled at the food and nutrition guy to get "that crap" (my breakfast) out of my room or I was going to puke. I think he thought I was kidding until he saw "the ghetto Julie" come out and tell him off. He left with tray in hand and I did not see him until dinner. I was much more pleasant by that time and he forgave me. I've decided that narcotics and me do not go hand in hand!!
Monday - I was oh so happy because I was going to get to watch Y&R. Then my respiratory Therapist walked in and tripped on my IV. Instead of calling my nurse he decided he would inspect it himself and told me it was still in...it wasn't!! Later that evening, my mother and kids came to see me while Steve was moving and I asked her to help me wash my hair. So I hopped in the shower and while my mom was washing my hair Jarom comes running in the bathroom naked and jumped in the shower with me...it was so stinking funny! Who in their right mind showers with their children at the hospital?!? We laughed so hard over that one. Then after she left I couldn't find my cell phone anywhere. I got a little worried and called my mom to see if it was in her purse..it wasn't. She said now that you mention it, I didn't see it when I was there. I went back and retraced my steps and remembered I had it at dinner. I went to the Nurse's station and advised them of the missing phone. They said the trays were still up there and for me to call it and they would walk by all of the dinner trays and listen for it...nothing!! Then they called down to food and nutrition. They told my Nurse that they had not found one but now that they knew they would be on the lookout for it. Then I remembered...When my CNA came and took my tray she also stripped my bed. We were talking about how white the sheets stayed and she advised me that they outsource their laundry to some linen company. As we were talking, she just rolled my bedding up in a ball and threw it in a bag. I called Steve and told him to keep calling my phone. I thought if he calls it I would walk by all of the dirty linen bags and surely I would hear it. By this time, I had all of the nurses calling it and listening to all of the linen bags...NOTHING!! They called down to housekeeping but they said that most of the dirty linen was already gone but they would call it down there too just in case my dirty linen was still there. They called us back and said they did not find it. I called Steve to tell him the bad news and after being yelled at like a child for not taking care of my phone we hung up. A little while later, a nurse walked in holding my beautiful orange phone!! She said "you're not going to believe this...your phone was already on the linen truck!! Housekeeping kept calling your phone and the driver heard it, found the bag it was in and found the phone!!" How amazing is that?!?!
Tuesday - I was strolling the halls as I always did (I was going a little stir crazy) when a lady crossed my path...she was not a patient as she was in regular clothing and had just walked out of my neighbors room. She said hi. I said hi, how are you? She said "oh, I'm not too good" I'm supposed to meet them downstairs and I dont think I can" I said, "who are you supposed to meet downstairs?". She said "my daughter in law" "He thinks I am on my way and he is in a gold Monte Carlo..please go tell him I won't be down" Again I asked her who and this time she said her husband. I looked around for a nurse but you know how that goes..there's never one around when you need 'em. I said "ma'am, do you have any medical problems?" in my best nurse voice. She said "I'm borderline diabetic" "okay" I said..."what have you eaten today?" she answered "apple juice and a candy bar". "did you take your insulin today?" I asked. "No" she said. Right then a nurse walked by. I yelled for her and told her the situation...told her that the lady was acting very disoriented...she ran and got a chair and said I had done a great job triaging her. She thanked me and they were on their way to ER. What a great way to end my stay there huh?
Even with all of the excitement I sure am glad to be home.

5 comments:

Janalee said...

so there's a 'ghetto Julie'? now I'm scared again.

spice2116 said...

how you can remember all that is amazing lol but then again how could you forget

Alli H. said...

1. I am glad you got your phone back. I know that is your lifeline.

2. "Ghetto Julie" had to come out at some point, can't keep that sista down !

3. It is nice to know that Nurse Julie is always close by to help someone in need. :)

4. Thank goodness for Jarom and his silly self for making your bath time fun in the hospital.

Get better soon sweetie.

paula said...

Wow, I'm glad you went back. Very scary, we don't want to lose you. And where are you moving to? Did you post this? I must have missed it.

Unknown said...

As I always say ... your life is just one big adventure, or is it just your amazing writing abilities?hmm? So we're all still waiting for the next medical chapter -- are you still in pain? Don't leave us all hanging!