Sunday, January 18, 2009

phleboto-who?

14+ years ago I went to Nursing School. It was just for my LVN but I figured I would take a step up program to RN and be done. Well, a marriage and 5 kids later, here I am with no Nursing degree. I only had 3 months to go but decided love was more important. I got married and moved to Phoenix. I told myself over and over that I would go back but never did. Now here we are jobless and broke as a joke and I kick myself everyday. OH, the mistakes we make when we're young!! And it's true...love is SO blinding!!
Well, back then, when it was time to learn injections, I freaked out!! I hate needles!! I don't mind giving shots at all, it's getting them that bothers me. I was soon calmed when I was told that we did not have to practice on eachother. We could if we wanted but since most of us didn't want to we practiced on Oranges. Whew!! What a relief that was. When we did our clinicals I learned that it was a breeze giving shots and I could do it all day. Injecting a human is just as easy as oranges! Actually, easier.
Anyways, my dear hubby and I decided that I need to get back in the medical field. For the most part, regardless of the economy, most medical workers still have a job. I chose to start with a phlebotomy course. I figure that I can get a job doing that and hopefully after getting some experience under my belt I can get hired on with the hospital and have them pay for my nursing school. We weren't sure how I would do seeing how my fear of needles has not gone away. Do you think you can do it? he asked. Of course, I said. As I've always said, I don't mind poking, I just don't like getting poked! But phlebotomy is about taking others blood, not giving it right? So, I did it!! Well, guess what? We practice on eachother!! From day 1!! Yep, I have to entrust these veins to a bunch of unexperienced freaks...some who have never held a needle at all. Over the 2 week course, I will be poked a minimum of 25 times!! That, of course, is if no one misses. If they miss my poor little fragile vein, they keep trying until they hit it. And yes, someone has already missed on me!! Is that insane or what? Phleboto-who?? Apparently, phleboto-ME!!

11 comments:

Aimee & Josh Jensen said...

eww I hate needles. Even know after ivs and everything, i still get wheezy thinking about another blood draw lol

Heather said...

Good for you! I just started an online math class. You are brave with the needles! Ouch!

Sarah said...

Hahaha! This is so funny because I used to be the kid who had to be pinned down by 4 people just to be given a shot, and now this pregnancy my hubby has to inject me every single week with progesterone. It stinks. My kids watch and say, "mommy, you're so brave!" Isn't life fun?

Alishia said...

You are so brave! I hope you can tough it out. Hang in there and it will be over before you know it!

I'm linking you to my blog, hope you don't mind.

paula said...

I think going back is awesome. I'm proud of you, that is not an easy thing to do with a family. Nursing is such a great field to be in for a mom. My neice is a nurse and she makes big bucks and chooses her hours. Good luck and hang in there. When I was working on my masters degree and had 3 kids that were all small, I wanted to quit many times, but keep at it, it will be worth it in the end.

I love your new bio pic. Super cute.

spice2116 said...

holy moly you are a brave soul. the things we do for our families!!

Varney Family said...

Holy Crow! I wouldn't last 5 seconds with a bunch of idiots poking at me (them being the idiots - not you!) Good Luck. At least you can stick it back to them for good measure ;)

Widdison Warbler said...

Good for you! I'm thinking of starting RT when we get a chance. I can't wait, I need a career change...and more money!

Jolene said...

just reading your post almost made me faint.

Michele Bushman said...

I can't believe you got over your fear of needles! I'm impressed. Great to hear your are doing this!

mother of seven said...

I was wondering about you... I am so happy for you!!!