Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Papa Joe


Sometimes a memory from the past will pop into my head and I believe these are things I should have been journaling for my kids long before now. So here's what crossed my mind today...When I was a youngen I lived in San Diego, California. We lived in military housing and the same Ice Cream man drove through the neighborhood everyday. His name was papa Joe. I Loved Papa Joe! He was this little old man who was missing half a finger. I was always able to buy a Big Stick because they were only a quarter. But on payday, which was the 1st and the 15th, I would get a drumstick!! And on my birthday I got whatever I wanted FREE. Now I never had to tell Papa Joe it was birthday...he always just knew. He knew all of our birthdays. To this day I wonder how he knew and furthermore, how he could keep up with all of them. There were hundreds of kids in Murphy Canyon. I know he didn't treat them all but still, I know everyone on my street got our free birthday ice cream. How did he remember? As I started getting older, Papa Joe lost my interest and I moved on to cooler things like walking to the store instead of waiting for Papa Joe. How sad, huh? The thought of kids getting older and maturing makes me sad sometimes. I'm sure once kids lost interest there were others behind us to get excited over hearing the sound of the ice cream mans musical truck. He probably never even noticed we were gone. I wonder what happened to him?

No comments: