Tuesday, May 27, 2008

what does it all mean?

My Grandma Krauss passed away back in March. She was 96...this picture was taken exactly a year before she died...didn't she look great!! I loved her so much and she and I were pretty close. She had pecan trees in her yard the whole time I was growing up and she made the best pecan pie ever!! I remember sometimes just peeling pecans with her and eating them on her front porch. Every time we would get together she would tell me stories of when she was younger...great stories. And every time I went to Texas I would surprise her. We never told her I was coming so then when I would get there she was always so surprised and so happy. I haven't been back to Texas since her funeral but it's going to be sad...I just thought about that...I will never be able to surprise her again. Anyways, I didn't realize it until today but I hadn't even dreamed about her since she died, until last night. It was so real to me. I walked into her room and she was laying in her bed and was so surprised to see me. All I remember is her telling me how much she loved me and me telling her I didn't want to leave her. I was crying and she kept assuring me that it would be okay. I must have told her a hundred times how much I loved her but she said something that was so out of context...I have been trying to figure it out all day. I am totally not one to try and disect a dream but what she said has had me trying to figure it out all day...you know...maybe there is some subliminal message in what she said. So I want some opinions on what she was trying to tell me. She said...."Nuts aren't as good if you don't throw the shells away"...what does that mean? Anyone?...anyone?

5 comments:

spice2116 said...

ummmm. . . . so i am thinking it means you cant enjoy something unless things are cleaned up :p do you have no ideas on what it might mean?

Alli H. said...

."Nuts aren't as good if you don't throw the shells away"... That is very profound. I interpret that to mean that life, success and love are not as delicious to enjoy if you protect your heart and hold onto your tough outer shell. You have to throw it away in order to allow yourself to experience the richness of what all the aforementioned has to offer. What have you been holding on to Julie? What are you doing that is preventing you from throwing away your shell?

Very interesting and very wise statement. I will remember that. I love Grandmas they have such wisdom

mother of seven said...

I agree with the post above.... And she said it well!!!

I am now thinking about my Grandma. I miss the stories, good food and the games we played!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it means what YOU need it to mean. I read something somewhere that said you learn what YOU need to learn at that point in time.

For me, it means, life doesn't mean anything unless you discard the crap that doesn't matter and enjoy the true sweetneess of it.

That is totally off the cuff.

paula said...

I'm late on this but I love the post. Memories of those we love are so sweet, she sounds like a wonderful person. I agree with Allisonh. If we are protecting ourselves too much we will not get to the sweet delicious center. It can mean the other direction too. If we hang on to our shells, others will never get to know our goodness inside. I think her reference to nuts was because that was something you related to her and your memories of her.