Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What a difference a year makes!!

January 2008 - We own our own business. It's a plumbing business...Bulldogs Plumbing. We have 6 employees. Our shop is in Tempe...big...lots of office space and a huge warehouse!! We own our own home...a humble tri-level home that backs up to Dobson High School. It's not much but we love it because it's ours. Though we have invested much blood, sweat, time and hard work into the house we know there is so much more to do. But we don't care because it is ours. Josh graduated last month (a semester early) and will leave for boot camp this month. My kids love coming home from school because they know mom will be there when they get home. I haven't worked in years (except for our own business). I am fortunate enough to get to stay home. I go out to lunch with my friends at least 3 times a week. I go shopping whenever I want. Don't get me wrong, I am very frugal...love thriftshopping and yard sale-ing. I am an avid Coupon Senser and love to see what I can get free or very cheap. But when I want something I go out and get it. Though we are not rich, I can honestly say that my kids have never known what it is like to not be able to afford something. For the most part, when they want something, they get it. They may have to wait a few weeks but they get it. Eating out is nothing special to them...they often get to eat out. I order a minimum of 6 cans from the cannery every month (usually more) and you should see my food storage!! I love to just open my pantry and look at how well we have stocked it up.
December 2008 - Not only do we not have employees but we no longer own a business. Due to the economy and decrease in new construction and service calls we had to close it. Our file cabinets, phones, computers and any other office equipment you can think of sadly sit in our garage...just a memory of what once paid our bills. That humble little home...we lost that too. We are now "renters". Josh graduated boot camp. He is now living on his own and engaged to be married. The other kids will no longer come home to mommy for I have to go out and get a job. I have put it off long enough and we are now out of time and money. They will soon be latchkey kids. They've learned that they can't always get what they want and that we just can't afford some things. To them, eating out is a treat now...which only happens once every 2 or 3 months. As for my shopping and lunch habits...well, those have changed. I still yard sale and thriftshop but that's about it. And that food storage...it's no longer so stocked up. We used lots of it this summer when not one call came into the office.
Though this is my personal story, it is not much different than most Americans right now. What is different is that I feel very blessed. Blessed to have ever even experienced "the american dream". And though this year has been tough on many, there is light in my life. My kids are alive and healthy. My husband loves me. I have a capable body that can still go out and work. And together, we will overcome this.
What a difference a year makes!!

5 comments:

Aimee & Josh Jensen said...

wow!
im so sorry again to hear what happend!

Josh wants to know who Josh is marriying? we dind't know lol

Alli H. said...

Jules. You are a survivor and that is obvious based on all that you have gone through in a year and you are still here and positive.:)
I am confident that 2009 will bring blessings into your life that could have never imagined for yourself and your family.

All my best wishes and positive thoughts. Good luck with the upcoming wedding and Happy New Year dear friend. Miss hearing from you.

mother of seven said...

I am always inspired by you. Imagine if I knew you better?

I miss hearing from you:(

spice2116 said...

wow i didnt know you dont have your business anymore. when i was down there i noticed that sandwich shop gone too. :( sad times but we need to be strong and be smart

congrats on your weight loss i look forward to losing weight and moving better after this babe comes

Unknown said...

Alison hates being "poor" and I remember the time this past fall when I told Stephanie she was "poor" too, she was quite amazed. I told them they didn't even know what poor is (as most of us haven't really experienced, thankfully) - they think it's not having McDonalds anytime they want. I'm with you Julie, feeling so blessed that we still have what's important: God, our families, our friends, a place to live, our health - on and on.