Sunday, November 2, 2008

Keeping the Sabbath?

Alright, so most of you that read this blog are of the same religion as I and for the most part, have the same beliefs. For those of you that may not know anything about my religious life, I am mormon (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). Now, don't let the word mormon scare you...no, we are not a cult. Yes, we believe in Jesus Christ. No, we do not worship Joseph Smith, we are thankful for his commitment in finding the truth and for the many sacrifices he made in restoring the gospel. Yes, we believe in keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. Now, my interpretation of that is as follows: (remember, this is just my interpretation)
I believe that Sunday is the day of rest. I use this day to focus on my family, reflect on things I may have learned at church that day, relax, and just avoiding "worldly" things. I do not go out and spend money on Sundays as I believe this is asking others to work and this should be everyones day of rest...not just mine. I do know that things come up and sometimes we have to go the store but for the most part I do not. And this my friends, is the reason I am writing. I would like to know your opinion on Keeping the Sabbath.
Here's the deal. I was given a prescription last night when at the ER. So today, I went to Wal-Mart and turned it in. I was told there was a 3 hour wait so I figured I would just come back later. Well, when it was time for me to go pick it up I had company and was given a hard time about going to the store (jokingly, of course, I know they totally wouldn't of cared either way). I explained it was only for my prescription and was told that I would be blessed for not going and holding off until tomorrow (to sum it up). Sooo, what would you have done? And where do you stand on this?

7 comments:

Janalee said...

You've heard the 'Ox is in the Mire' scripture or parable or some such thing right? referring to saint/farmers that would keep the Sabbath day holy but sometimes the ox was stuck in the mire and they had to go get it out, even on a sunday. So people sometimes compare such things as your describing as the ox being in the mire. Meaning sometimes you just have to to something like that on the sabbath.



did you go or didn't you?!!!!

(so we can judge you)

Question: Is picking up a library book that's been put on hold for you on the SAbbath breaking it?

Alli H. said...

Okay. I would have thanked them for their input and gone for my script. No one can assess your discomfort level but you . Remember that there were times when Jesus did things during the Sabbath time that was looked down upon by some "Religious" individuals, but he let them know that while they were holding on to their religious mantel they may actually be missing the point. Sometimes things are necessary to do for the greater good such as healing the sick even on the Sabbath. After all you endured the greatest blessing that you received to me is that you made it through.
I hope that you got your script and that you are okay.

Julie said...

No, I didn't go. but only because I lost track of time and when I thought of going they were already closed. Judge me as you will sista. And yes, picking up a library book on the Sabbath is breaking it..a book can definitely wait until Monday. Unlike my meds!!

Cristina said...

I think that if you were given meds, they were intended for you to start them immediately. I think that sometimes there is an exception to keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. In my opinion, picking up a prescription is like going to Urgent Care...if you feel like you need it, then do it. My parents always told us it was fine as long as you aren't buying anything else!! Miss you!!

Unknown said...

There are a few things in the church that I feel are not very defined and we should do what we feel is best - and NOT be judgmental of others (a fault I hope our members are working on). I would like to point out that you wouldn't have hesitated if the meds had been for one of your lovely children.
Question: Is buying a Coke from a vending machine outside a store breaking the Sabbath?? :) What about a DVD?

Jolene said...

I am a "Sabbath Day" nazi. In fact, I posted about it once (going swimming on Sunday) and got so many hateful comments that I deleted the whole post. I was a wimp.

I agree with Diane, if it was for one of your kids you would have gone. If you broke your leg you would go to the Dr. Things like medicine and prescriptions (not DC or DVDs) are necessary and definitely do qualify for the "ox in the mire" stipulation.

We struggle a little here, two doors down, I want my kids to enjoy Sunday and not dread it - but sometimes I think we are failing at that.

spice2116 said...

wowzer!! well i think you got your answer or answers. if the question is regarding meds, i would definitely be picking them up.

nobody is perfect shoot my grandpa used to take kids out for family activity and go to dairy queen on sunday. is that wrong?! i dont think so, it was the only time he had with the kids. it's all about intentions

sabbath is for family, rest, and relaxation and more importantly you :)