Friday, November 14, 2008

not so fatal after all

I had just sat down at my computer this afternoon when the phone rang...

Hello?
Mom!!
Yeah?
Our bus was in an accident!! They won't let us off of the bus and the man in the other car is dying!! But I just want off the bus. There's other parents here...will you come get me?
What?! Are you okay? Where are you guys?! I calmly asked (because we all know I never panic).
We're in front of the high school and the Jr High.
OK Steph, I'm on my way!!
Luckily, Justin was home to stay with Jarom as he was napping for the 1st time in forever!! I grabbed the keys and out the door!! All the while yelling to Justin what was going on and that I'd be right back. Of course, the whole time I'm thinking to myself "please don't let my kids have to watch someone die". There was so much commotion in the background when she called that I thought "maybe it IS serious!!" Now, I leave many things in my car all too often, but NEVER my camera! I would be disowned if it got stolen due to something I could completely control. Not that I have the best camera on the market or anything but just because Steve always rides me about being careless with my stuff and he spent a little more than he wanted on my camera. Well, lo and behold, I was driving to the scene of the accident, looked over, and saw my camera!! We went to Jareds musical last night and since I parked in the garage, I thought it would be safe to leave the camera in the van. I'm glad I did because I was able to take a couple of pics of the accident while stopped in traffic waiting to reach my loves. The bus must have hit the other car pretty good because the passenger side windshield was all shattered and the door came off of its track. It wouldn't open. So when they finally let the kids off of the bus, they had to exit through the emergency doors on the side which is why you see people standing there. Anyways, that was the excitement for the weekend. And no, the man in the other car was not dying. There were 2 men in the other vehicle. When they were hit, they got out and one of them was cut pretty bad and he was all bloody. As they tried to make their way to the bus, he collapsed. This must be why my drama queen thought he was dying. They did take him away in the ambulance but no deaths!! (thank goodness...can you imagine?)

3 comments:

Alli H. said...

I am grateful that everyone made it through that ordeal okay.

Lars said...

holy moly that would prove to be exciting!! glad everyone was safe

Unknown said...

I just want to make sure everyone out there realizes that it's still safe to send your kids on the school bus, we fly don't we, look how dangerous that is. I mean give me a break, don't look at me like that, don't lump us all together, it wasn't ME that crashed, I'm a good driver, waaaaahhhhh!