Monday, November 3, 2008

plane scared

I recently told my kids a story about a plane crash I witnessed when I was younger. I was 13 (maybe 14) years old and living in Harlingen, Tx. As is the norm in all towns, they were having their annual Air Show. My parents decided to attend with my little brother who, at that time, was only 2 or 3. I, being as "cool" as I was, decided not to go and to hang out with my friend Rachel instead. Now for those of you who have never had the pleasure of visiting Harlingen, let me advise you that it is a smaller town and you can see those planes from where ever you may be in town. So we were at Rachels apartment complex and suddenly one of the planes flies over our heads. I watched it fly by and as I did, I saw it start to go down in the distance. Not 2 minutes later there was black smoke rising in the air and I told Rachel that the plane just wrecked. She didn't believe me. My parents called to check on me shortly afterwards and I asked them if they had heard about a plane going down. Neither of them had and so I thought maybe I was wrong. Later that evening though, it was in the news. The plane never made it back to the Air Show and they had discovered it in the next town over. Though I was young and "oh so cool" I mourned for this pilot and his family and was so grateful that there was no one else in there with him. I will never forget that day. Not too many people witness a plane going down in their lifetime.
Anyways, the whole point to my story is, now that the kids have heard that story (Jared especially), they think every plane is going down (in their words). Jared always tells me how "loud that plane was" and "I thought it was going to wreck mom!!" Today, I was turning into the neighborhood when I heard a really loud plane, and, in all honesty, it sounded like it was coming straight for me. I looked all over for it and couldn't find it...a few seconds later, I saw the trail of white smoke headed over the superstition and knew it was probably just a fighter jet. When I pulled in the driveway though, they all came running...telling me how they almost witnessed a plane wreck!! They all ran outside to check out the noise!! They just knew it was coming down!!
What have I done to their poor, innocent, minds? Will they ever step foot on a plane again or are they ruined forever?!

No comments: