Thursday, January 17, 2008

Motherhood


A long time ago (back in 1997), my sister in law and I got into a huge fight over her dog and my child. She felt my 3 year old was being a little too rough with her pride and joy otherwise known as Ruppert. I don't really remember what started it all. I just remember how angry we both got over the fact that the other was saying something bad about our babies (yes, Ruppert was her baby). I remember she told me that if my baby touched her dog again she would BEAT him and I kindly informed her that I would KILL her precious dog if she touched my baby. Oh, the good ol days, huh Mindee? Anyways, I remember when it was all over I told her that until she had kids of her own she would never know the love one feels for their child. I told her when someone threatens your kids or their safety, you see RED!! Now, since I am not an animal person, I find it hard to understand how anyone can treat their animals as one of their children. I do, however, understand that everyone needs something in their life that can bring them joy and make them smile and for some, this joy is an animal. Anyways, Mindee later had kids and I remember her once telling me how in love she was with her son. How she never thought she could feel that way for a kid until she had one. I have felt that way several times in my life. I look at all of them at different times and think...I AM IN LOVE WITH THAT CHILD!! He/she is so beautiful!! My baby has been sick for the past couple of days and has been very clingy to me and as I was holding him earlier, every perfection about him was noticed. Those chubby little fingers on that chunky arm...his square, flat feet, his belly that sticks out like Santa's, his little lips perfectly shaped and pink as a rose, his little thighs that scream out "squeeze me please", his pudgy little nose, his dark brown eyes and that blonde hair. This truly is a love no one can understand until they are a parent themselves. It is a love that, regardless of how bratty or mouthy they become, never ends.
Now there are some that will stick with animals and never experience this love of children but as for me, I'll take this motherhood thing over anything else.
And as for Ruppert...he's long gone!!

1 comment:

Janalee said...

I prefer children to dogs to. Greatly.