Monday, January 7, 2008

Not as easy as I thought




Now that the hustle and bustle of Christmas has passed I can go over what happened. Josh had his graduation luncheon on 12/14/07...it went well. It was, in my humble opinion, a little too casual. There was really no formal recognition of the kids and their hard work...just some introductions and some Subway and just like that, it was over. Then we had Jared's birthday on the 15th...he turned 8. On the 20th, we had our Wright/Fitzgerald Christmas Party. It was great!! A ton of people and a ton of food!! What more can a Wright ask for??? Then, of course, we had Christmas and 2 days later my parents got here. Two days after that our best friends from California came in, Jared was baptized, and we threw Josh his going away/graduation party(I would never suggest doing all of that in one day to anyone). Two days later, on the 31st, was New Years Eve where my mother and I spent all day making tamales, our friends left, and we rung in the New Year with My parents and Josh's girlfriend, Michelle. Josh was scheduled to leave on the 2nd but his recruiter called and said that it had been postponed to the 3rd and to enjoy one more day with Josh.
On the 3rd, at 5am, in the blink of an eye, my Josh was gone. His recruiter came to the door, allowed enough time for Josh to hug his grandparents, Steve, and I only once and out the door they went. I mean, we didn't really have time for tears or sadness. I felt somewhat guilty. I didn't cry and I didn't really feel that sad. I went back to bed and an hour later was up with the other kids for their 1st day back to school. This was also my first day back to work. It was a really busy day for me. The following day, Friday, was my parents last day here and my mom and I did lots of shopping and running around. That night, my brother came over to say bye to my parents. He asked if I was doing okay with Josh being gone and much to my surprise, I was.
My parents left early Saturday morning. They didn't wake me to say goodbye...just up and left. When I finally decided to open my eyes, it was about 10:15. The kids and I did some chores and Steve sent me to Costco for some new phones. It was a really mellow, relaxing, peaceful day. I thought I could use some alone time as my life had been inundated with people for the past 2 weeks so off to Costco I went. It was in the Costco parking lot as I parked my car, alone, with no one to keep my mind off of it, that it hit me....MY BABY IS GONE!!! For the next 6 months, I won't have my Josh. He is my biggest headache and my biggest helper; my worst complainer and my best alarm clock. He truly is my buddy. For those of you that know me well, and those of you that don't, I fall under the statistic of "Babies having babies". We grew up together!! Josh has been in my life longer than most anyone I know, including my hubby!! Everything that I have been thru as an adult, Josh has been thru with me. We have talked, cried, and laughed together for the past 17 and a half years AND right there in the Costco parking lot, I lost it!! It happened 2 more times that day while talking with friends (sorry Chandra, sorry Lori). I'm a wreck!! What am I doing??? Wrights aren't supposed to cry!!
The house is so much different without a loud, smart allic, teenager. Even the younger ones have noticed. I think everyone is really missing him. Today, we all had dinner and by 7:00 2 of the kids were sleeping. Justin being one of them. Jared was not far behind and Steph was pretty quiet. The Wright house that everyone knows and loves is just not the same. This won't be as easy as I thought.

6 comments:

Alli H. said...

I tried to type a response twice to this post and was at a loss for words, so I will say this. I am happy that you had a good visit, holiday. Josh is loved and missed. You and everyone in the Wright house are loved.

Norma L. Ramos said...

Hi Julie,
it's me Norma from Harlingen. That was so touching. I didn't realize that Josh was out of school already. The way you described how Josh had been there through your adult years is exactly how I feel to the T. That was very touching. I will continue to write to you.Your friend forever Norma

P.S. No matter how far apart we are we will always have that connection from high school when we had our kids.

laura derry said...

Julie: Oh my goodness..I've been so out of touch with you lately! I will try to call soon and catch up!! I about started to cry here at work as I read it!! My heart goes out to you for your Josh! I can't believe he's all "grown" up. It seems like just yesterday we were all in San Antonio having our babies together and now they're 8 and baptized in 2007!! My how the years fly!! Love you lots adn miss ya tons more!!

Laura

Trails-N-Trolls said...

Hey Jules...WOW!! if you could see the looks i'm getting right about now...lol...sitting at my desk wiping away the tears...after reading about Josh and his farewell...:(

I can't believe he is so grown...i wasn't aware that was supposed to happen??!!...lol...

All the time I've known you; you have been such a strong person...both inside and out...you've made it through a lot and will make it through this just as well...

Gosh...what a dork am i...crying over something that is such a GOOD thing!!!...

I look forward to reading more in your blog...and who knows maybe i'll actually write in mine now that i have it...(had to create one in order to leave you this message)....

Take care...love ya & miss ya....

Lori K said...

Jules,

I freakin' love blogs! Honestly, there is nothing better than a great (and true) story! And to follow up with old friends in this way is awesome! With that said, I am ashamed to admit that I do not have my own blog...but Matt does (I can get you the address later).

I was shocked to see Josh in the Christmas card that you sent us!!! The other kids growing up I expected, but I nearly fell out of my chair when I realized that Josh was a MAN...not a child anymore! It's all so beautifully sweet and sad at the same time! I'm sure you will miss him, but more importantly, I am sure he will miss you!

It's amazing to me when I look at my own kids (Noah now 11 and Macey 9) to think that I have another one in my belly coming to join us in late March. I can't believe I will doing it all over again! But it's always so worth it, and though it is hard to see them grow up (and leave) it's also exciting to see what kinds of people they turn out to be.

It may be lonely in the house for now, but you and Steven need to pat yourself on the back for raising such a great kid!

Ashley said...

Thanks for letting me know what the letter was in reference to. I hadn't read this far back yet. Josh is so great (I enjoyed teaching him in Sunday school). He looks so grown up! I'm sorry he is gone for a while and that it is hard for you guys. I wish him and your family the best.