Saturday, June 13, 2009

I met a boy today

My brothers girlfriend Paula graduated from MA school yesterday. Her mom threw a bbq for her this evening so my parents, Steve and I went. While there we met a boy that I just can't stop thinking about. He was 9 years old and so so cute. This little boy taught himself how to play the piano and so far has mastered 6 songs including the song from the Titanic!! He advised me that he can't wait until he is 11 so that he can ground his younger brothers and that he can't wait to be an adult so that he can cuss. We tried to talk him out of that one. While telling us his life story he was drawing a picture. As Steve watched him he noticed that this boy kept looking down at his shirt and was drawing exactly what was on his shirt. And I am not lying when I tell you that he was a great artist!! Steve said, "who taught you how to do that?" to which he replied "I was born like this". Steve said, "you were born with that pencil in your hand" and he said "well, not this pencil". He then told us that he was going to get rich with his artwork and he was going to buy his mom healthcare!! He also advised us that his daddy is a Marine and is in Iraq right now and that if his daddy dies he will have to be the man of the house!! That just made me so sad. What 9 year old worries about healthcare and being the man of the house!! Anyways, he was just so cute, so smart and so young...and I bet in all of his innocence he has no clue what an impression he made on me. Innocence...isn't it grand?